Wednesday, November 24, 2010

You Smiled at Me

Sorry for the lack of updates... It's not that I dont have anything to post- I actually have lots! Unfortunately, theyre all "hush-hush" and I can't post anything quite yet... I'll be posting some stuff shortly. In the mean time, I thought I'd post this. I drew the illustration more than a year ago.

Have you ever come across a complete stranger, had a moment with them--whether flirting, small talk, smiling, eye contact...etc... and never really ever saw them again, for whatever reason? I've heard a bunch of stories from people, and their experiences with the "beautiful stranger"...and I too experienced this. (I think we all have on some level.)  More than a year later- I STILL think about it...

Pretty crazy, but perhaps that's what makes the whole memory so beautiful...nothing can dent it. If only we can know if they too are thinking of us as well. I'll never forget that plane ride...

10 comments:

Carl Knox said...

awww.. this one sute just too cute. :P

matt dawson said...

great old graphic quality to this sir... is there an untold significance to the bamboo and the memory...? I'd hazard a guess that everyone has had a moment like that... I can recall a few myself :-)

matt dawson said...

did I say "old"...mistype, meant to say "bold" :-) (early morning and cold typing fingers ;-)

Rogério Santana said...

Yes, I have. The 'beautiful strangers'. I still think about them, too. With songs and all...

Dawn said...

Swoon, great story :) Lovely Bamboo :)

Abz said...

Thanks guys... I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! ;)

Yes, the bamboos we're kinda there after wards. I remember after arriving in Toronto. I bought them to decorate my room- and still didnt have internet set up; I would be thinking about that experience, while looking at them and drawing- which is what I've posted.

theartofpuro said...

Great post!Cute illo!

Chelsea Kirchoff said...

ABZ! I am in love with your latest work! The giraffe you sent to American Greetings is AWESOME. I'm becoming a total Gleek so I totally appreciate your Glee homage. Shane Dawson's character is hilarious. My little brother and I quote him often (most importantly shanaynay) and THIS post is THE BEST. I always enjoy illos accompanied by a story of some sort and I do agree; I think we've all had those moments with strangers.

Happy to see you've been busy and things are going well! Good luck with work and all that good stuff!

Nothing new over on my blog really, but I'm working on this one really cool piece. I'll let you know when I post it!

Chelsea :)

Carolyn said...

I really like your illustration--I like the layers of colors you used to make it pop out. And ur post was was sweet too-I feel like moments like that are times that you can look back on for when you are having a down day :)

Anonymous said...

I really really like this Abz. For some reason, the bamboo somehow someway, when i look at this makes me emotional.. maybe it slightly has to do with the "you smiled at me". Over all, i love this and love the way its coloured. xo miss u!
Tinky